Saturday, October 15, 2011

How did I get here?

Is it normal to start a blog with a severe case of writer's block?  I have no clue how to start this thing, so let's just get past this first painfully awkward introduction and we can get on to the good stuff....okay?

Since I was very young; I've painted, decorated, remade, recrafted, repainted and redecorated everything I could get my hands on.  I started reading Seventeen magazine at age 11, but only because it would have a decorating section in the 'Back to School' issue every year.  Imagine my frustration at not having my own dorm room in the 6th grade!  My first real decorating attempt was a near-disaster, resulting in dark lavender walls with a white canopy bed and a purple floral bedspread...which totally clashed with my Duran Duran and Wham posters.  My next bedroom sported a diagonal-striped wallpaper feature wall complemented with bright yellow paint everywhere else.  My mom and I successfully made drapey curtains out of hot pink and blue sheets, and I called myself a decorator!  Fast-forward to my high school years; and my room consisted of a bright red daybed, yellow dust-ruffle and balloon shades....and custom paint-splattered furniture.  I would take my mom's 29 cent craft paint and go to town on anything that would stand still.  It looked way awesome, but I probably did go a bit too far....learning the hard way that heavy paint splatters do not come off of antique rocking chairs or stereo speakers. 

Eventually, I went to college and majored in Art; then went on to design school where I acquired my prestigious Interior Design degree....resulting in a string of jobs ranging from used car-parts saleswoman to a 10-year stint at Home Depot to numerous secretarial positions.  But my stubborn creative streak continued, and I've taught myself many useful (and useless) crafts, budget decorating skills and countless how-to projects...which I will now pass on to you, dear reader.  And don't worry, very few of them involve paint splatters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment