Sunday, April 1, 2012

Do a little dance, make a little...dinner party

Do you ever go into something knowing it's not going to turn out well, despite your best intentions?  Well, that is this post.  I wanted to show photos of the disco-themed wine dinner, but I don't appear to have any good photos.  But, I missed talking to y'all, dear readers, so here are the few measly pics.  I promise I'll do better next time, m'kay?



I used old cassette tape cases for the placecards, and made my own 'album' covers for the various guests.  I searched high and low for inexpensive cases in good condition.  Granted, they are available in most thrift stores, but I had to buy at least 50 of them...and with a $10 budget.  Not such an easy task, but remember that I am ShelSquared, SuperDecorator.  I searched garage sales, thrift stores, and my parent's garage.  I had three different emails going on with Craigslist folks. 

Side note:  if you're selling something that is fairly obsolete in this day and age, don't feel that you have to drive a hard bargain.  If someone desperately needs to buy 50 of your best Country Christmas from Cleveland County cassettes, work with them.  Seriously.  This is clearly a desperate measure from a desperate woman three cities over. 

Anyway...I finally tracked down a boxfull of cassettes from a church tag sale.  Crisis averted.  Whew!

I made centerpieces out of brightly colored feather picks from the craft store, 45 records, glow sticks and dollar-store bud vases. 


The best part of the decor was the napkin and menu combo.  I made the menu to look like a big-collared black shirt unbuttoned, and folded the standard white napkin like a white jacket. 


Overall, it was a rockin' huge success.  Groovy!

No comments:

Post a Comment